Thursday, July 21, 2011

31 weeks 4 days




Yesterday was a long day from the word go!

I had my second appointment with my OB scheduled for 11:10. They got me back in the room and I waited more than an HOUR for her to come in. I usually don't tolerate waiting well, but I did it because I 'get' the fact that she is an OB and delivers babies half her day in the hospital next door. And one day, she will be dropping everything to run down and deliver ME.

We went over my birth control issues again. I REALLY need to have a tubal ligation, however our hospital is owned by the catholic hospital and they are not allowed to do tubal ligations at this hospital. Without my being 110% positive in my desire to do the tubal, it's just something that we are not ready to do yet anyway. Also, with my being diabetic, the infection risk of having ANY type of implant or foreign object inside of my body is too great to make it a viable option. IUDs are out, the implant is out. The essure procedure is out, as is any clamping of my tubes with titanium, or silicone clamps or clips. Meaning when I DO have a tubal ligation, it has to be the old fashioned cut, tied in a knot and burned type of tubal, where no foreign objects are left in my body.

Due to my getting pregnant, consistently on the traditional hormonal birth control pills, I am not able to take them. I would literally just get pregnant again, even with my diligence of taking my pills on an alarm every single day. She refuses to do the DEPO shot on anyone who isn't a skinny 12-13 year old girl. I didn't get into it, I would really only have taken the DEPO shot as a LAST alternative. Due to allergies, latex, spermicides, foams and such are not something that I can use. I exceed the weight capacity on the patch.

That basically leaves me with three options. Abstinence. Which is NEVER going to happen in this lifetime, nor my virgin alter ego's lifetime. My partner getting a vasectomy....which goes back to the fact that we aren't 110% positive that we wouldn't change our minds later. And something called the NuvaRing. The NuvaRing is safe while breastfeeding, so the NuvaRing is it, and what I will be using post-partum.

After several other necessary discussions, including bruises and injuries that aren't healing, questions about who does the circumcisions and when, and some stuff about weaning off of my fasting insulin, and a few other things....I spent another 20 or so minutes making my appointments for the next six weeks, which include an NST, an ultrasound and an OB check at each visit. Then I literally had to RUN to my next appointment over at the hospital (at 12:45) so that I could make it in time. I didn't have a chance to eat lunch until almost 3pm, and was feeling seriously ill by that time because my sugars were so low. Anyway, I had my EKG and Echo cardiogram. According to the gal that did it, everything looked good, but we will still be waiting on a report from the radiologist.

Baby sounds good. Urine was fine, so no protein or sugar issues this week. Blood pressure was VERY good in the office too. My next appointment will be tomorrow, with the perinatologist in Austin.

0 comments: